Tuesday 3 November 2009

unintentional tour of dutch colonial empire

So I am reading a book on the "new order" period in Indonesian history and I'm reviewing my knowledge of the dutch colonial empire when I realize that I have made a habit out of traveling to or temporarily living in the east indies/west indies...How did I not come to this realization earlier? I don't know! Here is my working list (in chronological order based on my experiences):

South India (definitely a stretch I know), Bonaire, Aruba, St. Maarten, Cape Town, Indonesia

This realization really took me by surprise, enough to write about it here, but I guess if you think about it, the dutch really had their hands on everything for a good three or four centuries. Not only that, but they got serious about spices, and thus you'll notice that most of the aforementioned are equatorial.

In other news, I saw a KFC (Indonesia's first favorite fastfood joint, with Pizza Hut following at a close second) with minarets and a dome on my way back from a trip to Malang in East Java. Yes, a KFC as a mosque. Just what exactly is going on here.



Included here is a picture of Tuban's crown jewel. This mosque does not, incidentally, double as a KFC.


Meanwhile, here a little boy waits after maghrib (prayer at dusk) for his fastfood ala Tuban.

1 comment:

  1. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

    (Obviously this comment has nothing in the slightest to do with your post.)

    ReplyDelete